Chief Water Resources Engineer
JOB NUMBER: 1322
About the Role
Reporting to the Operations Support Manager, the Chief Water Resources Engineer is of fundamental importance in realizing mine's potential as a long-life copper producer. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mine has consistent access to the water needed for its operation, while managing surface water and groundwater resources responsibly and in conformance Environmental Policies, industry best practices and the expectations of regulators and other stakeholders.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Manage and ensure all employees and contractors are working in compliance with and MSHA safety guidelines and procedures
- Implement, monitor and take ownership of Water Supply Strategy and Water Management Plan to ensure consistent access to water as needed for the Life of Mine Plan.
- Collaborate with most departments to support water management at all site facilities, including the open pit, tailings facilities, dump leach and waste rock dumps. Provide water-related input to geotechnical analyses as needed.
- Engage and manage consultants for a range of water-related scopes, and review technical models, reports etc.
- Design, implement and manage hydrological monitoring systems.
- Provide input into long-term planning (Resource Development Plan, 5-year plan, etc.) and Short-term planning (Year Budget, Forecast and 3-month plan).
- Provide input into strategic mine development studies for mine expansions, development scenarios, closure approaches etc.
- Build and foster strong relationships external personnel, including operators, engineers, environmental teams and management.
- Provide mentoring and technical support to an established team of professionals.
- Additional tasks and duties as required.
- 10 or more years of experience in water resources engineering, hydrology or a related field, preferably in a mining setting
- Bachelors or higher degree in a related field. Masters degree preferred.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (PE) certification preferred, or eligibility to become certified within 12 months
Key Competencies / Skills
- Strong project management and report writing skills, combined with the ability to work in teams across all levels of the organization
- Practical experience in many aspects of water resources engineering, including water supply planning, surface water and groundwater management, water balance and numerical modeling, and others.
- Knowledge of GoldSim and other common water management and/or GIS software is highly valued.
- Experience in presenting complex technical assessments to a range of stakeholders
- Valid Driver's License
- Able to communicate clearly in English
Physical Demands of the Role
- This role is generally 70% office environment and 30% field environment.
Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Excellent Health, Dental, Vision, Disability, and Life Insurance (effective on date of hire)
- 401(k) Savings Plan with Company Matching Program and Employee Share Purchase Plans
- Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, and Tuition Reimbursement.
DOE Market Competitive
VIEW MORE JOBS